Uniform Resource Locators’ (URL), also known as domain names, indicate locations of pages on the Web. One must pay for the name if one wishes to own a specific URL.
The sheer volume of URLs that are registered is large. So if companies want to have a website for the brand, they need to use coined words for the new brand.
Internet Assigned Numbers – Groups of Top-level Domains
Most Common Domain Extensions to Consider!
- The .com domain is very popular.
- Most businesses choose .com domain names because it is widely popular.
- .com had approximately 133.9m registrations by the end of the first quarter of 2018.
Other Domain Extension Options
In addition to the most familiar domain extensions mentioned above, there are other 1,500 different TLDs available.
These are some other famous options
.gov — Limited to government agencies
.edu — Limited to educational institutions
.info — An open extension that is short for information
IP Address & Domain Names
- An IP address is another way of getting to the website.
- They are identifying numbers used by computers to communicate with each other.
- Most IP addresses look like this: 123.755.81.111.
- Remembering lengthy strings of numbers is a challenging task for ordinary users.
- That is when the brief and easy-to-remember domain names come into the picture.
Benefits of Domain Name
- Reaching your target audience.
- Maintaining ownership of the brand.
- Getting found easily by customers by being memorable.
- Building a presence online.
- Setting expectations.
- Helps in developing credibility.
- Boosting your SEO.
- Competing with other businesses.
- Growing and expanding.
Pre-requisites – Right Domain Name for Building a Brand
1. If it is available and is possible, buy a .com
- .com remains to be the golden standard from a wide consumer perspective.
- Hence along with having an appropriate new generic top-level domain extensions, startups should also consider owning the .com option.
- It is possible that one might need to use a chunk of their capital on a domain.
- Nevertheless, in the long haul, it will be well worth it.
- That being said, it is better to do it sooner than later.
2. Check the availability of your preferred domain name on social media sites.
- It is essential to have an official website and social media pages with the same name.
- This helps in building a strong brand identity.
- It is a full-proof way to make your brand more unforgettable and recognisable.
- It also makes it simpler for probable customers to look for your business across numerous platforms.
3. Avoid any type of copyright issues.
- One should always steer clear of domain names that have already been documented as trademarks.
- This way, any legal implication for copyright infringement can be avoided.
4. Think about Buying the Other Main TLDs as Well
The story does not end at getting your primary domain name extension secured.
It is just step one, whether it is
- This will indeed contribute to your total domain name bill.
- But it will also prevent possible problems further down the line.
- This way, you would not end up playing against another site having the same domain name but ending in a different TLD.
Step two would be to acquiring all other popular TLDs and then setting them to redirect to your main TLD.
Example : If your desired address is watchmeskate.com, also consider getting the likes of
5. Choose a Name That is Brandable
- Branding is critical to long-term success.
- However, the domain name needs to be brandable too.
Some of the most significant ones are as follows:
- A brandable name has no particular meaning.
- ‘Google’ is not a word and ’YouTube’ isn’t one either.
- It’s unique — make sure your competitors don’t use anything that is similar.
- It’s easy to memorize — it should not be too wordy.
- It should not have any complex vowel combinations either.
- It should be easy to pronounce and dictate over the phone.
- It should sound trustworthy — some names can sound a little shady by description.
Example – WinTheLotteryToday.com may be too aggressive and forceful, but Lotterio.com sounds way better.
6. Buy the familiar Misspellings of Your Domain
- This can increase your annual domain bill even further, so it’s your call.
- In conclusion, if you concentrate on some of the most likely misspellings of the domain, it’s going to be pretty safe.
- Looking at the earlier example, Lotterio.com could be misspelled as Loterio.com – with a single ‘T‘.
- After attaining the misspellings, redirect them back to your primary domain name.
Popular Domain Name Registrar
Most Expensive Domain Names
Example – ‘Cybersquatting’ Case over Domain Name
- Donald Trump awarded damages in ‘cybersquatting’ case over domain names.
- In 2013, a Brooklyn man was ordered by the court to pay $32,000 damages to Donald Trump.
- This ‘cyber-squatter’ registered domain names containing real estate mogul’s name and held them hostage.
- Taikwok Yung, a self-described “domainer” developed four websites (trumpmumbai.com, trumpindia.com, trumpbeijing.com, and trumpbudhabi.com)
- Trump’s Attorneys filed a countersuit against Yung, 34, at the U.S. District Court in Brooklyn in March 2013, for “federal cybersquatting.”
Example – Facebook
- Facebook paid $8.5 Million to acquire www.fb.com
- In 2011, Farm Bureau was paid $8.5 Million by Facebook to acquire www.fb.com
- Before that, Facebook purchased the domain name Facebook.com, all the way back in August 2005.
- Facebook had paid $200,000 to buy Facebook.com.
- 42.5 times less than what Facebook spent to acquire fb.com.